Introduction to WordPress
WordPress is one of the most popular blogging tools on the web, making it easy for anybody to post their ideas, pictures, and audio/video. WordPress can be used for not only blogging posts but also to store static information that can be easily updated like a content management system (CMS).
This class teaches the new user how to get their blog up and started quickly while teaching students to fully understand the right way to install, administer, customize and market their blog.
One of the main advantages of WordPress is the use of themes and plugins which can dramatically change the look and functionality of your blog website. Students will learn how to find and install various themes and plugins as well as learn how themes work behind the scenes using template tags with PHP.
Each weekly lecture will give explanations, illustrations, resources, and practical scenarios of setting up your own WordPress blog.Applicable Job Roles: web designers, and webmasters.
- Blogging Basics
- Types of blogs
- Manual installation on a web server
- Understanding the Dashboard
- Setting up user accounts
- Elements of a Post
- Managing Posts, Categories and tags
- Adding an About page
- Adding your links
- How to find and install new themes
- The basics components and files of a theme
- How to use widgets
- Quick PHP Overview
- Review of basics template tags
- What is a Plugin?
- How to find and install plugins
- Popular and useful plugins
- Adding Analytics and RSS Feeds
- SEO Optimization
- Integrating social media sites
- How to monetize your blog
- Blog design considerations
- Dissecting how a theme works
- Creating a basic theme from scratch